Rubicon Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 04:49:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Forum users can use the crate icon (or [level] and [/level] tags) when writing a post, to make a direct link to a level.
5461 Posts in 238 Topics by 2430 Members
Latest Member: Shreyas
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rubicon Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  Support (Moderator: Bucky)
| | |-+  Weird Door Key behavior
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Weird Door Key behavior  (Read 5474 times)
jnz
Director

View Profile
Weird Door Key behavior
« on: December 02, 2006, 07:49:12 PM »

While trying to play Bucky's xupedas, I ran into some strange behavior of the Door Key.  I made a test level at jobytut.  Load it up and click Play.  For some reason the gates stay "on" even though you wouldn't expect them to.  Now put a new door key one spot above and to the left of the girder.  Click Play.  Now they do shut off.  And for the really weird part: delete the door key you just added and click Play again.  Now both sides look identical but behave differently.

If you reload the applet it will revert to the original behavior.  But just clicking Load and typing the level name in doesn't cause this to happen.
Bucky
Director

View Profile
Re: Weird Door Key behavior
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 09:47:35 PM »

is kudobyl a bit more solvable?

EDIT:No, it's not!  it seems that in order to have its direction reversed it must be deleted and re-formed.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 09:50:19 PM by Bucky » Logged

That is the most ingenious method of solving an impossible puzzle that I have ever seen.
MagiMaster
Engineer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 11:56:03 PM »

Also, if you add a doorkey with a vertical door below it, the two won't become associated.  (The door will just sit there and cause the top door to appear.)  I think this works correctly for all other directions though.
jnz
Director

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 12:09:46 AM »

Also, if you add a doorkey with a vertical door below it, the two won't become associated.  (The door will just sit there and cause the top door to appear.)  I think this works correctly for all other directions though.

Test level at babarur.  Below and to the right both turn on the other side.  Above and to the left turn themselves off.
Handi
Designer

jack_rtp009@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 12:42:27 AM »

It's porbably related to the order in which every square is processed.
I think, it's processed from left to right and from top to bottom, thus if there are two cases: a doorkey with a door to the left, and a doorkey with the door to the right, in the first case, the square with the door will be processed first, whether in the second one, the square with the doorkey will have the priority. Hence the different results.
Same stuff happens when two conveyors try to push crates. the conveyor situated to the left will have the priority... or with pipes, top pipe will have priority, etc.
However, there are some exceptions with the upward winch and upward copier as you can see: hudabid

Anyway, it's just an hypothesis,you should refer to Kevan to know the real reason.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 12:44:49 AM by Handi » Logged

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
Hand-E-Food
Designer

hand_e_food@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 11:34:50 PM »

I've never seen pre-placed doors work reliably.  I've always found it better to let the gates handle the doors.  Unless there's a very long chain, the gates close fast enough to set up a lock at the start of a level.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: