Rubicon Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 10:44:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Undeletable components are now shaded blue when loading a level in.
5463 Posts in 238 Topics by 2430 Members
Latest Member: Shreyas
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rubicon Forum
|-+  Playing the Game
| |-+  Design Discussion (Moderator: Bucky)
| | |-+  Rubicons Laws of Physics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rubicons Laws of Physics  (Read 11715 times)
Rene
Director

View Profile Email
Rubicons Laws of Physics
« on: January 02, 2007, 11:54:20 AM »

I proudly present the three

RUBICON LAWS OF PHYSICS

LAW I

Components come in four distinct categories. All components in a higher category are evaluated fully before any of the components in the next lower category.
The categories are, in order of priority:

1: Door / Furnace
2: Copiers / Pipes / Winches / Gravity  / '?'-barrel 1
3: Dozers / Conveyers
4: Gate / Packer / Unpacker / Target Matcher

LAW II

Within one category, components are evaluated in order of their position on the board. Within category 1, the order is top-to-bottom, then left-to-right. Within the other categories, it is bottom-to-top, then left-to-right.

Exception II.A to Law II
If an up-pipe is placed two spaces above a down-pipe or down-winch, then the up-pipe is evaluated (out of order) immediately before the down-pipe/winch.2

Exception II.B to Law II
For category 3, the order is not determined by the position of the component, but by the position of the barrel it acts upon.

LAW III

When a barrel is created/moved in a tick, the same barrel is not removed/moved again during the same tick.3

Exception III.A to Law III
A barrel that is created/moved can be moved again in the same tick when pushed by a dozer or another barrel (and therefore indirectly by a dozer or conveyer).4

Note III.B to Law III
A gate 'reads' a created/moved barrel, but a copier doesn't.5

Note III.C to Law III
In the old physics model, packers, un-packers, and copiers are exempt from this law.6

Notes

1 Barrels and crates are collectively called 'barrel' in these laws.
2 II.A explains the weird up-pipe behaviour.
3 Law III explains most oscillating behaviours and the slowness of components.
4 III.A explains why you can snap a barrel from a furnace with a dozer or a row of barrels, but not with other components.
5 III.B explains the instantanious behaviour of gates.
6 In the old physics model, down-copiers are slower than up-copiers, because they are both evaluated bottom-up.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:48:33 PM by Rene » Logged
Magilvia
Operator

View Profile
Re: Rubicons Laws of Physics
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 04:51:01 PM »

Good work Rene. If I'll find other exceptions I'll post here.
Bucky
Director

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 05:17:04 AM »

Explain this:

Flux panels:buvuduc

(I think it's another special case in the order that door keys are evaluated)

That is the most ingenious method of solving an impossible puzzle that I have ever seen.
Rene
Director

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 01:27:56 PM »

Explain this:

Flux panels:buvuduc

(I think it's another special case in the order that door keys are evaluated)

The door keys are the one remaining mistery and I am still working on a general rule for them. Here are the observations I have so far:
1) Single door keys open/close immediately, no matter which door it is.
2) Each door is owned by a door key. Only the door key that closed it can open it again.
3) Doors that are placed by the designer are owned by the door key under/to the right of it (if there is one, otherwise they always remain a static obstacles).

In a sequence of door keys:
4) From the top or left, it closes one door every tick (double the speed of a dozer), but opens instantaneously
5) From the bottom or right, it closes one door every tick as well, but opens one door every two ticks (the same speed as a dozer)

There seems to be a deliberate delay built in for sequences that open from the bottom or right: the first door opens faster than the others in the sequence. I am trying to find out where that delay comes from.

Your examples show there is even more going on, as it shows out-of-order behaviour. Probably an opening door checks with the surrounding door keys, whether they want to have it closed. Further experimentation is needed to find out whether this immediate out-of-order behaviour, or whether it is a separate phase in the evaluation.

Bucky
Director

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 08:10:16 PM »

I think that a door is marked "new" when it is created, and is "new" for the remainder of the tick.  It ceases being "new" at the start of the next tick.  New doors cannot trigger other doors.  Also, all door deletions happen before any new doors are created.

A similar thing seems to happen with new barrels to keep them from being moved by conveyers.

That is the most ingenious method of solving an impossible puzzle that I have ever seen.
Twee
Designer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 03:01:54 AM »

I've noticed people writing about things happening at double-speed (i.e. "double-speed dozer-draw") and I think I recall someone mentioning something happening at quarter-speed also. Do any components carry out more than one action per tick, or am I misunderstanding something? Sorry for the lack of context.
Also, thanks Rene et al, for working out these laws.   Smiley
Werbad
Director

jonas_88_rehn@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 09:52:25 AM »

Double-speed dozer draw means that one crate is drawn every second tick instead of every fourth, also known as half-speed. Normal dozer draws are quarter-speed.
Twee
Designer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 02:40:39 AM »

(Belated) thanks for clearing that up, Werbad.
Rene
Director

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 02:42:12 PM »

I would not have believed that after all this time, and many puzzles solved, there could still be mistakes in the laws of physics. But today, Curly's puzzle "F" (jypudub), made me realize that the '?'-barrel rule was in the wrong category. I have moved it to category 2 now. See as example tydacyz, where there is a clear difference in behaviour when a '?'-barrel is copied up or down. When copied up, the ?-barrel is turned into a normal barrel in the same tick, before the dozer can fetch it. When copied down, it takes a tick longer, and the dozer has time to fetch it. This can be explained with the bottom-to-top evalutation within category 2.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: