Rubicon Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2015, 04:08:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Undeletable components are now shaded blue when loading a level in.
5468 Posts in 238 Topics by 2433 Members
Latest Member: TaxiService
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rubicon Forum
|-+  Playing the Game
| |-+  Showcase (Moderator: Bucky)
| | |-+  Template copier
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Template copier  (Read 9421 times)
Bucky
Director

View Profile
Template copier
« on: November 06, 2006, 10:51:12 PM »

This is pretty close to a generic puzzle solver.  Its main fault is it works in base 10, not base 16.

dadocyp

Directions:
1)put a base-10 template (in barrels) in the template area.  If the template is less than 6 barrels long, move the copy-up and up-pipe as appropriate.  If it is longer than 6 digits, you must slow down the top dozer as well.

2)Feed a steady stream of F-crates

3)Watch as it spits out crate copies of your original template

EDIT: gigebib will handle letter crates as well, but it's much, much slower.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 11:07:47 PM by Bucky » Logged

That is the most ingenious method of solving an impossible puzzle that I have ever seen.
Otto
Shelf-stacker

View Profile
Re: Template copier
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 12:34:15 PM »

Neat!

However, it completely glitches if you have an F in your template, because F's start going through the switch too fast and don't left shift the template in time.
Bucky
Director

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 12:52:07 AM »

Neat!

However, it completely glitches if you have an F in your template, because F's start going through the switch too fast and don't left shift the template in time.

Fixed.  gohutaz doesn't glitch like that.  As a bonus, it runs faster and can hold a longer template.  (to make it use an eve number of digits, make the top dozer's track one square longer and add a conveyer belt under the omitted digit of the template.

That is the most ingenious method of solving an impossible puzzle that I have ever seen.
Rene
Director

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 07:42:52 PM »

Here is a high speed version of the template copier that I derived some time ago: bybyhez
Rene
Director

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 09:15:14 PM »

And here are some more template copiers:

lamevut

The top left can handle an arbitrary long template; the template is fed from the right, and the copies come out on the left. You have to make sure that the first digit of the template is present in the machine before you add the 'F' feed, though: when the machine is empty, it will not stop out of its own. The top right one is similar and differs only in the way the next digit is moved in; pick your own preference.

The bottom template copier I saw in a recent solution by JF (jynysat), but I took the liberty to simplify it a bit. The great thing about that one is that it starts/stops out of its own. You can feed it individual digits and they will get copied into crates. If you let the outgoing digit trigger the next incoming one (like JF did in his solution), you have quite a powerful copier.
colcolpicle
Engineer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 12:14:34 PM »

here's a template copier I made. genizob  I believe that it is a bit faster for lower numbers than some of the other ones. it takes two steps per number of times it has to change it rather than three, but there is a slight delay and it is huge.

Rene
Director

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 06:14:50 PM »

here's a template copier I made. genizob  I believe that it is a bit faster for lower numbers than some of the other ones. it takes two steps per number of times it has to change it rather than three, but there is a slight delay and it is huge.

Cool. That is pretty close to an ideal template copier!
Here are two copiers that use the same principle, but are more compact:
jaratab
Shreyas
Shelf-stacker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 07:11:56 AM »

Exceptional! Just that it would be great if you could stop the whole process after the thing is completed... good anyways..
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: