Rubicon Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 11:07:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Forum users can use the crate icon (or [level] and [/level] tags) when writing a post, to make a direct link to a level.
5463 Posts in 238 Topics by 2430 Members
Latest Member: Shreyas
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rubicon Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  Support (Moderator: Bucky)
| | |-+  Call for Rubicon beta testers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Call for Rubicon beta testers  (Read 32203 times)
Twee
Designer

View Profile
Re: Call for Rubicon beta testers
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2010, 06:04:07 PM »

Could you add a hotkey that acts as a fast-forward button? Holding [s] does this, but it would be nice to have a key that I can press once instead. Thanks again for making this. I never run Rubicon in my browser anymore.  Cheesy
jnz
Director

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2010, 03:52:15 AM »

Just for you, Twee  Smiley

New in 1m27:
  • Fast forward (shift+click on the Play button)

Unless somebody finds a problem this should hopefully be the last version before Kevan makes it the official version.
Madball
Designer

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2010, 10:12:50 AM »

And maybe you should add pause and one tick forward button? It would be very useful when you want to examine someone`s machine.

To be or not to be?

2B||!2B=FF
Twee
Designer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2010, 06:17:14 PM »

Thanks, jnz! this makes  my method of weighting down the s key obsolete.  Cheesy

And maybe you should add pause and one tick forward button? It would be very useful when you want to examine someone`s machine.
It's there already, and as you say, is  extremely useful. Just press the s key to advance the machine one tick. The machine then stops after that tick (essentially acting as a pause button) until you either press s again, or click the play button.
Twee
Designer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 06:11:31 PM »

I feel slightly guilty about nitpicking, but since the play button currently toggles fast-forward mode to normal speed, shouldn't it also switch from normal speed to fast-forward? In other words, clicking play once would start the machine, clicking it again would speed up the machine, and clicking it more after that would switch between the two speeds.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:13:14 PM by Twee » Logged
jnz
Director

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2010, 07:07:15 PM »

No need to feel guilty.  Smiley
You can shift+click on Play at any time to enter fast-forward mode.  I could certainly make it a toggle instead but I'm worried that people might accidentally double-click on Play and wonder why their machine is running away at 6x normal speed with no obvious way to fix it.  The shift+click is unlikely to be triggered unless you're a power user that already knows what it does.
Twee
Designer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2010, 11:16:50 PM »

... I'm worried that people might accidentally double-click on Play and wonder why their machine is running away at 6x normal speed with no obvious way to fix it.  The shift+click is unlikely to be triggered unless you're a power user that already knows what it does.

I hadn't thought of that. I have spent some time thinking about the disconnect between the "power user" and others though. I think the only difference at the moment is how much of the forums one has read. Ideally, when your version becomes the official one, the instructions on the main page will be updated to include all the new features (cut and paste, stepping, etc.) People will then no longer have to read the forums to really know how to use the rubicon interface at that point.

When I first started playing Rubicon, I think the hardest part was parsing the unpacker description in the GUI: "...the value of the right green-input cargo is subtracted...(in hex, modulo 16.)"  I already knew what hex and modulo 16 meant, but if I hadn't, it would have added even more complexity. I'm of the opinion that anyone who can get over that hurdle can probably also figure out why their machine is unexpectedly running 6x faster. I'm ambivalent on this point though: with the learning curve somewhat too high for a casual game already, your reluctance to create any more stumbling blocks is probably wise.

Edit: actually, the other thing that makes a "power user" is a strong grasp of Rubicon physics- knowing that a crate between an up pipe and a down pipe will go up, for instance. I'm content to let people figure that out from reading the forums and through trial-and-error.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:19:47 PM by Twee » Logged
Kevan
Administrator
Designer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 02:05:04 PM »

This version of Rubicon is now live on the site, replacing the old one. Many thanks for your work on it, Jnz.
immibis
Engineer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2010, 04:31:20 AM »

I'm unable to use it to create or solve levels. I can select parts correctly, but nothing happens if I click on the playing field (it does nothing instead of placing that part)

jnz
Director

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2010, 07:37:19 PM »

What operating system and browser are you using?  What version of Java do you have installed?
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml should be an easy way to find out.
immibis
Engineer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2010, 10:01:27 AM »

Sorry for the incredibly late reply, but after I posted that, I bought Garry's Mod, and have been playing it for the last few weeks/months.

Java 6 update 13
Firefox 3.6.8
Window Vista SP2 32-bit

It doesn't work in IE 8.0.6001.18943 either.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: