Rubicon Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 03:44:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Undeletable components are now shaded blue when loading a level in.
5463 Posts in 238 Topics by 2430 Members
Latest Member: Shreyas
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rubicon Forum
|-+  Playing the Game
| |-+  Custom Puzzle Levels (Moderator: Bucky)
| | |-+  MagiMaster's Simple Puzzles
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: MagiMaster's Simple Puzzles  (Read 74302 times)
jf
Director

View Profile
Re: MagiMaster's Simple Puzzles
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2006, 08:32:16 AM »

Here is my solution to DYTADAM: kebuneb. (This solution also works for HYBYXEX.)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 08:35:19 AM by jf » Logged
Daniel Nilsson
Designer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2006, 11:29:35 AM »

Here are my solutions:
Tiny 2 & Tiny 2b: tirekox.
Tiny 3: cykicos.
Tiny 3b: bumybyz
MagiMaster
Engineer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2006, 07:02:48 PM »

Here's two new Passing Train puzzles.  They're a little different that the others.  FYSOXIH and DOMEDYG.
Lazyone
Engineer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2006, 07:58:46 PM »

« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 03:16:27 AM by Lazyone » Logged
Daniel Nilsson
Designer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2006, 09:41:43 PM »

Here's my solution to Passing Trains 5: vylobad.
20eight
Engineer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2006, 02:47:51 AM »

my solution to fysoxih:

rugoxyt
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 07:17:59 PM by 20eight » Logged
Mr K
Designer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2006, 03:16:01 AM »

You're gonna hate me Magimaster: fovohub  Smiley (you should force two more spots blank)
Solutions to tinies: lonafad, pubonyh

Try this tiny: bovuzat
and this trains: nicityz
Mr K
Designer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2006, 05:47:46 AM »

Here's a different delayed trains: hidudud I wanted to greatly increase the difference time between the different gates opening, so I slowed down the RNG.
20eight
Engineer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2006, 05:51:18 AM »

my solution to passing trains 5giteden
MagiMaster
Engineer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2006, 06:52:47 AM »

Yeah.  There should be two more forced blanks in that level then.   Cheesy  (And BOVUZAT and NICITYZ are pretty cool.)

Unfortunately, HIDUDUD still causes the trains to leave at about the same time fairly often.  It's due to the distribution used.  Both trains leave at the first 0, which is a geometric distribution.  Looking up the mean and variance, the trains will, on average, leave on the 16th barrel and something like 2/3 of the trains will leave withing the first 32 barrels.  To make them less likely to leave near each other, a two digit counter with random initial digits would work better.  (That'd be a uniform distribution.  On average they'd leave after 128 barrels and 2/3 within +/-73 of that.  [Not exactly, but close enough.])
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 01:34:57 PM by MagiMaster » Logged
jf
Director

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2006, 07:57:59 AM »

Here is my solution to Passing Trains 4: hanuzax. I keep the trains intact with their original boxcars, in order, for the duration of the trips, and track switching is controlled by train position, completely independent of departure time. Enjoy!
Lazyone
Engineer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2006, 08:23:59 AM »

the solution for nicityz   kubybix
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 05:37:33 PM by Lazyone » Logged
Mr K
Designer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2006, 10:12:45 AM »

I solved the trains in the middle here: dagovys I even made all four train cross paths at the exact same spot.

Yeah.  There should be two more forced blanks in that level then.   Cheesy  (And BOVUZAT and NICITYZ are pretty cool.)

Unfortunately, HIDUHUD still causes the trains to leave at about the same time fairly often.  It's due to the distribution used.  Both trains leave at the first 0, which is a geometric distribution.  Looking up the mean and variance, the trains will, on average, leave on the 16th barrel and something like 2/3 of the trains will leave withing the first 32 barrels.  To make them less likely to leave near each other, a two digit counter with random initial digits would work better.  (That'd be a uniform distribution.  On average they'd leave after 128 barrels and 2/3 within +/-73 of that.  [Not exactly, but close enough.])

Yeah, of course the randomness of the barrels are isn't changing. The time between each was changed. If you are generating one every turn, you're average gate opening is going to be at the 16th turn, with a majority being between the 8th and the 24th turn. Your average difference in openings will be around 16 (24 - 8)turns.

But slow down the rate of barrels to say, one every five turns, then your average opening wil be on the 80th turn (still 16 barrels) with a majority being between the 40th turn and the 120th turn. Your average difference in openings will now be 80 turns (120 - 40). That's 64 more turns of action generally possible (on average) than the other way.

If that doesn't convince you try the opposite direction. speed up the RNG to 16 barrels a turn. Most of the time, the gates will open the exact same turn. you won't have any difference at all. The speed of the RNG matters.

It should be obvious from just trying it, too. With the slowed down RNG with a flat track between trains (like here: nakenib), most of the time only one train even makes it out the gate, because the other train has already come the whole distance across. With the speedy RNG, that hardly ever happens. The difference in time between openings is much smaller.

No, I haven't changed how often the number zero is generated. I just stretched out the time between each zero (the the number of barrels between hasn't changed, and doesn't need too).

A two digit RNG isn't necessary. You adjust the tractor path length , the number of barrels dropped per tractor circuit, and the base barrel that you are measuring against. Watch the difference gate openings in this example: vagunib Each train must race to cross the finish line (four screen lengths away) before the other train even starts. And one train usually does win. Try this marathon with a speedy RNG, and the trains will meet in the middle most of the time, losing before getting half a screen length.
MagiMaster
Engineer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2006, 01:21:15 PM »

Yeah.  I know that slowing down the barrels does make the average time between trains greater.  All I'm saying is that for the number of barrels generated, a uniform distribution has a better average difference.  (And you usually don't have to wait so long for the first train to leave.)  Here's my example: BEGUSYT

Also, here's a new Tiny puzzle.  RITINEZ
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 01:32:57 PM by MagiMaster » Logged
Daniel Nilsson
Designer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2006, 02:34:45 PM »

kyfodih is my take on Tiny 4.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: