Rubicon Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 03:31:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Undeletable components are now shaded blue when loading a level in.
5463 Posts in 238 Topics by 2430 Members
Latest Member: Shreyas
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rubicon Forum
|-+  Playing the Game
| |-+  Miscellaneous (Moderator: Bucky)
| | |-+  Update: Undeletable Starting Components
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Update: Undeletable Starting Components  (Read 69187 times)
Kevan
Administrator
Designer

View Profile WWW Email
Update: Undeletable Starting Components
« on: November 04, 2006, 11:37:06 AM »

To prevent the ambiguity of whether a level designer intended certain bits of their level to be demolished, any usable components that appear in the starting level are now shaded blue, and can't be deleted.

(Hopefully this doesn't mess up any existing levels - I haven't noticed any having an intentional solution that involved deleting things. It does make solutions look a bit weird, when loaded in, but I can't think of a way to prevent that that doesn't make things more confusing elsewhere.)
Daniel Nilsson
Designer

View Profile
Re: Update: Undeletable Starting Components
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 01:14:50 PM »

I have found something with this that might be considered a bug. I you for example load a custom puzzle, make a partial solution and save it to get back to finish it later, the parts you added will be blue when you load it again. I think only parts added while in sandbox mode should be marked blue not those added in game mode.
Kevan
Administrator
Designer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 07:23:07 PM »

Sadly the blue-tint squares are calculated at runtime (being any tiles which are available to the user yet are already on the board), rather than being stored as part of the save-game file - it'd require a major overhaul of the save-game format if each square also needed a blue-tint flag. And I'm not sure how confusing it would make the existing interface if one mode created tinted tiles and others didn't - it'd certainly make for an annoying level if the designer intentionally (or accidentally) put in a few deletable girders.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 09:44:59 PM by Kevan » Logged
BirdOfAsh
Operator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 09:39:50 PM »

I have a problem with this update: when you swap to sandbox mode, everything is still blue and cannot be changed/deleted. I like to load all of those neat "inventions" you find on the forums and mess around with their components to see how everything fits together, modify timers, etc. I cant do this now because they are all blue! I do know how much trouble you go through changing the game though, and thanks for making such a great game to waste all my precious time with!
Kevan
Administrator
Designer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 09:50:02 PM »

Everything was actually still blue but deletable, so far as I can tell. But yes, not a good thing, this has now been fixed.
Mr K
Designer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 01:05:04 AM »

I like the intentions behind the idea, but I don't like the results. I solve everything on sandbox mode now, because the blue messes me up. Maybe if the blue could be turned on and off without having to switch to sandbox.

Edited to say: by turning off the blue, I don't mean making them deletable, I just would like to be able to have the colors normal while I solve. I'd still use the blue button to check what's originally there,. Right now, by switching to sandbox so that I can see while I solve, I can't switch back to game mode without everything turning blue. So I can't really use game mode at all.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 02:01:03 AM by Mr K » Logged
Kevan
Administrator
Designer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 11:57:19 AM »

What exactly do you mean by "messes you up"? Does the shade of blue look invisible or hideous on your screen, or something?
Mr K
Designer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 04:42:09 AM »

All the pieces are dark, like they are covered in fog of war. Even if they were lightened, instead of darkened, it'd still be distracting. It makes them all seem as if they are all one piece. I mean, that's the whole point, so that you can tell at a glance what is yours and what is part of the level, but having this view forced on all the time makes it a huge pain to work on. Now we can tell at a glance what is original and what's added, but now we can't tell at a glance what's a packer and what's an unpacker. All the original pieces are now faded together. It's not needed constantly on, and it's so distracting that I have to abandon game mode all together. I had thought it was a bug its so distracting. I uninstalled a bunch of browser extensions thinking a new one was causing some conflict with rubicon.
Kevan
Administrator
Designer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 11:36:59 AM »

Are they a completely solid colour, or just too strongly faded? Perhaps the overlay function I'm using in Processing isn't supported in older versions of Java, or something. If it's a strong fade thing, though, it'd be good to see a screenshot so that I can tell whether it's any different to the way they look on my laptop screen.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: