Rubicon Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 12:14:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Forum users can use the crate icon (or [level] and [/level] tags) when writing a post, to make a direct link to a level.
5463 Posts in 238 Topics by 2430 Members
Latest Member: Shreyas
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rubicon Forum
|-+  Playing the Game
| |-+  Open Design Challenges (Moderator: Bucky)
| | |-+  SIZAHOB: serial incrementer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: SIZAHOB: serial incrementer  (Read 2772 times)
finka
Shelf-stacker

View Profile
SIZAHOB: serial incrementer
« on: October 06, 2006, 08:17:33 AM »

This machine takes a theoretically infinite stream of digits and increments it, accounting for carries.  I've set it up so that the string is fed back into itself every three digits, so it's functioning as a 3-digit counter, and stacking the results at the bottom of the play area.  It processes one digit every twelve ticks; is it possible to go faster?

Another challenge: design a serial adder (that takes two streams of digits and adds them), the faster the better.
Zaratustra
Operator

View Profile
Re: SIZAHOB: serial incrementer
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 07:32:33 PM »

like the one in vakahyl?
finka
Shelf-stacker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 04:26:33 AM »

Not really.  I'm thinking of treating the strings of digits as continuous numbers, and you've neglected the carry there. 

I've made an octal one at doretog.  Using octal was very convenient for detecting the carries.  In hex it seems to be quite a bit harder.
Daniel Nilsson
Designer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 02:58:25 PM »

Another challenge: design a serial adder (that takes two streams of digits and adds them), the faster the better.

My attempt on an adder is stored as xobacek. It is a bit slow and I am not totaly satified with the carry logic, but it seems to work ok in all cases.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: