Rubicon Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 06:48:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Undeletable components are now shaded blue when loading a level in.
5463 Posts in 238 Topics by 2430 Members
Latest Member: Shreyas
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Rubicon Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  Support (Moderator: Bucky)
| | |-+  Suggestions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 5005 times)
jnz
Director

View Profile
Suggestions
« on: November 11, 2006, 06:58:49 AM »

I've been collecting a few ideas for a while now, so here they are in no particular order:

• The Clear button puts you back to a completely blank slate.  This may be nice when you are designing a level and you decide to scrap what you've got.  But when solving an existing level it would be nice to have a way to clear only your pieces and start again (other than reloading the page).  So I propose that when in Game mode the Clear button only clears your pieces (leaving all the architecture and blue-locked pieces).  In Sandbox mode it can retain the current behavior.
  • If you are in Game mode and you lay down some pieces and then click the Game button it blue-locks all your pieces.  I guess making the Game button not do anything if you are already in Game mode would fix this.
  • In the toolbox the left conveyor is on the right and the right conveyor is on the left.  This drives me completely nuts.  Smiley  Although I suppose changing it now might confuse everybody else, at least for a while.  The dozers are similarly reversed but I don't tend to have a problem with them since the icons are easier to distinguish and less ambiguous.
  • If you accidentally drag the mouse a bit while clicking the OK button on any of the dialogs you can end up inadvertently laying down girders underneath.  If it is easy to suppress this, it would be appreciated.
  • The applet uses significant amounts of CPU time even when the machine is not playing.  This makes it impossible to open up a bunch of different machines in different tabs.  The applets in the background tabs are sucking up all the CPU cycles and making the foreground one run with an unacceptably low rame rate.  I'm assuming this is because the background applets are constantly redrawing themselves even though nothing is changing in them.  Is it possible to call noDraw() or something when the machine is not playing?  This might even make the editing more responsive on slow computers.  You wouldn't have to wait for the current frame to finish drawing before a click got processed.
  • I sometimes trim off the query string off the link to an existing level when I want to get to a blank sandbox (ending up with the URL: http://kevan.org/rubicon/game.php).  This gives the error message 'The level "" could not be found.' and then drops you in a blank sandbox defaulting to the old physics.  It would be more useful to me to get rid of that error message and default to the new physics.
  • The Copy-and-Paste is nice but a Cut-and-Paste would be a nice complement.  Select an area, hit X, then click where you want to paste.  The source rectangle would be erased just before the the target rectangle gets filled in.  This is different than doing a select, C, left-click, Delete when the source and the target rectangle overlap.  Additionally, after doing a cut-and-paste (and maybe for copy-and-paste too) it would be nice if the selection rectangle got moved to be around the target area.  This way I could do a cut, paste and then repeatedly paste the same thing to other parts of the level just by hitting C and left-clicking.
  • Dragging the paste rectangle around can be really slow when you have a large selection even on a fairly fast machine.  I don't know if making the rectangle snap to the grid instead of allowing it to move pixel-by-pixel might help this.  It might feel more responsive, at least.
  • It would be nice to have the version number displayed in the lower right even when not at the main menu so you can be sure you're not using a cached old version.
  • Could we have a counter of the number of frames (or seconds) that elapse from the time you click Play until the Solved! appears?  This would allow us to compete for "fastest solution".  The only problem that I can see is that a few rare machines get to the solved state but aren't quite finished running yet (they break the solution and then fix it again a bit later).  If we want to say that those machines shouldn't really be counted as being truly solved the first time that Solved! appears then I suppose you'd have to keep the counter running in the background and copy it to the official "time to solve" variable whenever the machine shifts from the non-solved to the solved state.  Perhaps you could stick this display underneath the Solved! text.  Something like "in N frames" or "in X.Y seconds".

Well that's all I've got for now.  Wink  Any thoughts, people?  For or against?
Lazyone
Engineer

View Profile
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 07:53:59 AM »

I like the changes. A minor little thing also is when you load a level your are able to hit enter for the OK button but not the OKS after this. Also someone had mentioned possibly adding a pause and step feature, this would be great as the puzzles get more complex like MagiMaster's decypher puzzles.

Is there a way of using a Hot key to load a level? I saw in one post you had mentioned hit the L key to load but i tried and it did not work.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 06:34:54 PM by Lazyone » Logged
Kevan
Administrator
Designer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 09:30:29 PM »

Thanks for the feedback and ideas, jnz. To respond in the same particular order...

• Yes, have been meaning to do this, it just needs another backup storing. I'll get around to it eventually.
  • Fixed in v1.22.
  • Heh, sorry about that. Maybe I could sharpen up the icons a bit.
  • Fixed in v1.22.
  • Yes, this is bad, and yes, they're constantly redrawing themselves. I'll look into improving this.
  • Fixed in v1.22.
  • Seems a good idea, I'll look into expanding the editing features at some point.
  • I was wondering that as well, I'll give it a try some time.
  • Actually, Daniel's suggestion of changing the filename so that it doesn't get cached seems more useful; I'll look at that at some point.
  • Excellent idea. v1.22 has a timer in place of a cost total, when a machine is running; the first time the level becomes solved, the timer gets copied to the bottom-right of the screen. Have fun.
jnz
Director

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 05:05:57 AM »

Thanks for the fixes.  (I sent you an email about some of this yesterday before you came out with this new version.)

I have noticed that the tick count seems to be 1 higher than people have been using on the forums, although that could just be the difference between whether you label the first tick "1" or "0".  But if you start a level already solved it says "Solved in 2 ticks" which is too high no matter which way you are counting.  Also, if you let a machine run in sandbox mode it forgets to latch the frame count until you switch back into game mode.

ddsdiur
Operator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 07:21:18 AM »

How about making the target matchers be settable in the editor to accept barrels, crates, or both. That would let the cheat-prevention still work, but also let people match barrels if they want to.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: